Sunday, January 15, 2012

And Finally...Research!

I realized that it's been a year since I posted anything on this blog!  I find it really hard to manage all my commitments in grad school along with social media and networking.  Technologies change all the time...sometimes in good ways and sometimes in bad ways...but all of these changes require a learning curve.  I've just linked my blogspot account with G+, which might actually help streamline social networking and blogging.  We shall see!  I've also decided that I want to use SaveOurSharks as a personalized research blog for this moment in my life.  I'm hoping that if blog posts go out to all my friends in my ScienceOnline circle (see #scio12), perhaps I'll feel more supported and encouraged in my research...and also responsible to them at the same time...  Posting will be a built-in, self-created, self-reporting mechanism to keep my friends updated on my research and also spur me to keep up with my research schedule.

So where am I at this moment?

Thesis Proposal Defense: Done! August 2011

Sample Collection:
  • North Carolina shellfish samples: Almost Done!
  • Chesapeake Bay shellfish samples: Collected but died.  :(  New sample collection: In Progress
DNA Extraction:
  • North Carolina shellfish: DNA extracted and in storage! Turned out beautifully!
COI Primers: Ordered!

Working On:
I have to acquire some more shellfish samples from NC and Chesapeake Bay.  Hopefully I'll have the Chesapeake samples this week or early next week.  Hope to have the primers early this week.  Soon as those arrive, then I'm off to sequencing!

Feel free to comment, ask questions, and ask me how I'm doing...help me stay motivated, please!

No comments: