As soon as I returned from ScienceOnline2012 #scio12, I drove to Virginia to pick up shellfish samples from Chesapeake Bay. I drove up and back on Monday, and chatted with my collaborator at the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences while there. He was able to collect oysters, hard clams, soft clams, and stout razor clams from their experimental plots for me. I was missing soft clams and stout razor clams, so I'm very excited and grateful!
What a week! Seems like I wasn't quite as prepared for #scio12 as I hoped... I spent a lot of time
trying to catch up on teaching emails, lesson plans, meeting with
students who registered late, and trying to catch up on my readings for
Science Education class. I'm still catching up on my SciEd work, but isn't playing catch-up the life of a grad student? I'm taking the morning to blog and do some post-#scio12 wrap up. We have to keep inspired and engaged by doing the things that bring us fulfillment and joy.
I have those shellfish in the freezer in our necropsy lab now, and I've started the tissue extraction process. I had to spend some time cleaning and organizing this past week, so I wasn't able to get to the DNA extraction. That's on the schedule for this weekend. The necropsy lab is used by numerous people in at least two labs, is bereft of a formal "lab manager", and is often a mess. Quite honestly, I think it stays a mess because we all feel like no one else will take the time to keep it clean or keep our samples safe. The last time I was in there, there were fish scales still stuck to the dissection table. It makes me worry about using that area to remove tissue samples that will be used for DNA extraction. So I cleaned and prepared the small hood and wet lab area in our lab to work in...and that is a much nicer set up anyway. I also decided that it would be best to store my frozen samples in small containers in the freezer. I had them in plastic storage bags on a shelf, and with all the other fish and misc samples in the freezers, it just didn't seem like the best choice. So I now feel much better about my sample storage and work area.
All in all, it felt like a nicely productive week. This weekend I must finish prepping my samples so that I can start the DNA extraction process on Monday. And next...sequencing!