The San Francisco Chinatown shark finning protest is being held today. I haven't heard news from the protesters, but we can help in making our cities Shark Safe. There are a number of things we can do to help increase awareness about shark finning and boycott the consumption of shark products.
From the Shark Safe Project:
What you can do to help
- Refuse to buy any shark products.
- Refuse to patronize any restaurant that serves shark.
- Whenever you see shark fin soup or other shark products on the menus of restaurants or fish stores, complain politely to the proprietor before leaving.
- When spending your vacation near the ocean, avoid going on fishing excursions aimed at also catching sharks.
- Call up your TV station and complain every time sensationalize a shark related incident.
- If you read articles or see TV transmissions which portray sharks as being bloodthirsty monsters, write to the authors or those responsible. Explain that such sensation reports are extremely damaging to the worldwide shark populations.